Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Claustrophobia

Claustrophobia (from Latin claustrum "a shut in place") is the fear of having no escape, and being closed in. It is typically classified as an anxiety disorder and often results in panic attack. One study indicates that anywhere from 2-5% of the world population is affected by severe claustrophobia, but only a small percentage of these people receive some kind of treatment for the disorder.

If I wasn’t claustrophobic before, I am now. My mom warned me to shut my eyes before they slid me through the MRI tube and to not open them until they finished. She should have known that by her telling me this, I would obstinately open my eyes midway through the MRI process. Big. Mistake. I quickly shut my eyes just as fast as I had opened them. I had a death grip on the panic button and contemplating squeezing it when I heard the doctor tell me to stop moving. I noticed that my breathing was out of control and tried thinking of bunnies and kitties…anything but confined spaces. What seemed like an eternity later, they pulled me out and asked how it was…umm horrible, dreadful, and terrifying! Ok maybe a bit dramatic but I think I now need to receive treatment for claustrophobia in addition to infertility!

CD 15

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I cannot imagine feeling like that, I am so sorry! I am wondering if you ever found out what the results were from your husband's S/A?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope not yet...he has an ultra sound today and then he'll go to his doc for all of the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are they giving him an ultrasound on/for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. His doc ordered an u/s of his "guys" after the SA came back abnormal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever get the results back from the u/s? Also, my DH is submitting his S/A tomorrow. If you think about it, say a lil prayer for me.

    ReplyDelete