Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

What the heck did I get myself into?!

After 3 days of vomiting every single thing I ate (which wasn't much), I'm finally back to normal. Well, third trimester pregnancy normal. I experienced really horrible contractions every time I threw up and I have to admit that I was thinking, "WHAT THE HECK DID I GET MYSELF INTO?!". I wasn't questioning our home birth or even a natural birth but just labor/delivery in general haha!

I called one of my amazing midwives on Sunday (bet you can't reach an OB on a Sunday morning) after experiencing several awful contractions and she listened to my symptoms, reassured me that everything was normal at that point, gave me suggestions on things that I might be able to keep down (BRAT - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast), directed me to stay as hydrated as possible and was just so incredibly nurturing. She also reassured me that my contractions from vomiting probably went from 0-10 on the pain scale but typical labor contractions will build and my body will produce endorphins to help combat the pain. Let's hope my body has some pretty strong endorphins ready to go for labor!

As painful as those contractions were (and I promise I'm not a wuss), I'm actually glad that I experienced them because it not only gave me confidence (I can do anything for a day, maybe 2) but it also gave me perspective on how I might handle the real deal. Mr. Baby Fever was also so completely supportive - rubbing my back, leaving me alone when I asked him to and just getting me whatever I needed (food, drink, etc).

I had an appointment with my midwives yesterday and everything is looking great. Our baby is head down (I think he's been that way for at least a few weeks now) and I'm as healthy as can be (weight, blood pressure, etc). They did the Group B Strep test, which I didn't even feel...let's hope it comes back negative! I look forward to these appointments and so does Mr. Baby Fever. We've gotten to know our midwives on a personal level and have developed trust in them. I must say that I'm excited for our home birth, knowing exactly who will be in the room with us and that they are all people that I WANT in the room with us, which should make for a less stressful labor.

35 weeks & 5 days pregnant

7 comments:

  1. Oooh man, well I'm happy to hear that you're feeling better. That sounds absolutely awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childbirth is definitely a weird process. That's all I kept thinking about when I was in labor! "THIS IS SO WEIRD!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you doing???!! I have been thinking about you, hope everything is Ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am going to follow you for sure!! I love your blog already & I have just read this post. I am 20 years old. I just had my baby girl May 8th of this year at age 19. I too had a homebirth (& I am married by the way, we married August of 2008). I wanted to give you some words of advice (I hope that's alright). Watch as many homebirths online as you can (especially the ones that are similar to what yours will be like waterbirth, etc.). Read what you can on preparing for a homebirth. I am telling you having a baby at home was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. I could not imagine having a baby in the hospital unless medically necessary. My labor went very well. I think that was due to how mentally prepared I was. To be honest I look back now & I can name some things that are definitely more painful than having a baby (Lainey weighed 8lbs 11.5oz btw). I am so glad that you chose to have a homebirth. I believe you won't regret your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for a second comment but I forgot to mention this. We were also tested for strep B (we used an OB for backup care as well as our midwife because I was afraid of my family's reaction if I didn't). Ours came back negative, we didn't have it, but something that we asked my midwife about was that if I had it, would we be able to tell the baby caught an infection once born & would we be able to get it taken care of. She said yes, we would know and it would be able to be controlled. Now you should listen to your midwives advice & opinions on this one, but if you have it, definitely talk to them about still having the baby at home without antibiotics (because seriously who wants to be tied to an IV while having a baby??). Also, it is highly unlikely that the baby get infected with Strep B, but it still can happen so just see your options & don't give up on having that little bundle of joy at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog. Looking forward to reading about your birth story. I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete